Behind the Bar - Complete Review

Full Post of A Locals Design Guide to Bars, Restaurants, and Lounges











Q

Neighborhood: Inner Richmond
225 Clement Street (between 3rd Ave & 4th Ave)S
San Francisco, CA 94118
(415) 752-2298
http://www.qrestaurant.com/

*Disclaimer- Due to the consumption of a certain alcoholic beverage prior to my departure for the restaurant, my camera was left at my apartment; hence the lack of pictures. I have borrowed some from yelp and plan on returning to Q to take my own pictures but for now please sit tight. And if you are not the sitting tight type, there are people you can contact to help you with that.

"Here am I floating round my tin can, far above the moon. Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do." -- David Bowie

In the Know: I know you have been losing sleep over it. Don't worry, I have too. How does one combine a gigantic paper mache moon (actually looks more like stucco but in my book paper mache is a $2 word whereas stucco clocks in at $1.23) , an indoor tree (this ain't no fluffy fragrant ficus), and magnetic letters into a cohesive design...the designer of Q (Dan Das Man- the infamous burning man artist) must have thought this to be his perfect McGyver moment. Or at least a chance to combine all his talents under one steel roof.

Lets take note; Giant moon looming overhead, check. One steel wall that also acts as a chalk board and super magnet with children's alphabet letters to play with, check. Super hero comic book art installations sharing wall space with a metal alligator, check. Christmas lights held up by metal rods separating the booths, check. Table tree (literally a tree that is surrounded by a table), check. 6" deep tables that display different scenes/characters/dinosaurs in them for you dining pleasure, check. Large open kitchen for you to salivate over all the other diners meals as you wait for you own, check. Small metal bar set at an awkward height, check. I mean they really just went down the check list of things a restaurant must have in order to be successful. P.S. Congrats on being open for 10 years you 'lil space clown on steroids!

Behind the Bar: One of the servers commented on only having one Micros (or at least I think she said micros-- and to her credit she really liked having just one) system behind the bar for the whole restaurant. Now the space isn't exceptionally large, and to my calculations there was only two servers for the space*, so having multiple point of sales isn't absolutely necessary. It is absolute, however, to have one at the bar or at least in the bar region. Behind such a small bar, especially during dining rush hour, might cause a cluster f*ck. I would suggest move it out from behind the bar, but only slightly...one would not want the bartender to go that far for it, I mean s/he holds the fate of your experience in their pouring hands.

*Calculations vary as the night progressed from beer to beer to red wine to white wine to red wine again.
**I have to say, my experience was even better after talking to most of the staff and owner. If Q's design and staff where like a fine wine, it would have been an explosion of flavor!

Who's Who: Anyone from the guy that forgot to pull the toilet paper from his razor cut face to the girl that thinks she is the cats meow (who could better be described as the coughed up hairball during that meowing session of this so-called cat) to the fat kid in class, everyone is welcome! I think it is a fantastic chill spot for you and your friends to drink a pint or a glass milk to be more age/design appropriate. It is also a great place for a date, especially if you are concerned about maintaining a conversation; lots of little goodies to talk about. Unless, of course, your date doesn't find humor in you trying to find enough o's to spell poop or boob. *Shockingly enough my date did not find it funny. I mean you are dining on freak'n diorama for gosh sakes. Lets keep a little perspective.

Too Much Information- Take Me Back!