Behind the Bar - Complete Review

Full Post of A Locals Design Guide to Bars, Restaurants, and Lounges


Ottimista Enoteca-Cafe

Neighborhood: Marina/Cow Hollow
1838 Union Street
(between Laguna St & Octavia St)
San Francisco, CA 94123
(415) 674-8400
http://www.ottimistasf.com/

In The Know: I really can't say there is anything all to special about this one amongst a thousand wine bars. When you envision a wine bar what is the first thing that comes to your head: chunky wood accents, or European park style outdoor tables, or napa style marble bar countertops, or one wine rack wall, or wine barrels strategically placed somewhere, or sexy mood lighting via candle light, or what my girlfriend described as 'poopy' rose stucco walls (that is a very technical term - thanks Lindsay!). All thats missing is the exposed brick. If you want to add a little pizazz throw in an old world spanish theme; wrought iron gates and candle holders, a ridiculously large map that acts as wall paper, and/or old black and white pictures in old frames of people that have absolutely no correlation to you. Sound unique? Not in the least. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy myself everytime I go to one of these wine bars (more due to the fact that my friends are amazing company and I can polish off a bottle of what in stores is $10 but at the bar is $40 in an hour). However, how do you distinguish yourself from the next? I understand when you are opening a bar, the expenses can get really up there. Why not instead of putting what little money you have left into Wines-R-us where every wine bar owner shops, hire a local artist and set him loose in your space. I guarantee it would be something new and fresh and probably half the cost. You would also be supporting SF's local artist so really it would be a win-win.

Behind the Bar: Let me start by saying it was only due to the server that I could even tolerate the design of the space. She was incredibly nice and informative in her descriptions of the bar. She stated that the bar had been open for three years and they were the original wine bar in SF and everyone had followed their lead. (highly doubtful but interesting nonetheless) When asked about the design she quickly came at me with a 'oh I love it.' (not shocking as every server says that - I even used to say that when I worked at Poleng. Fortunately, I quickly realized how ridiculously funny I am and received better feedback/conversation/tips when I was brutally honest.) Then, without me even rolling my eyes and prying for her real thoughts she came at me with a 'you know what I don't like?' Me: 'Um, no but do tell.' Her: 'I hate the lighting system. All of the lights run on one control. You can't set mood lighting. (At this point I was at 3 large glasses of wine so I kinda stopped listening) I am a huge fan of lighting and it sucks not to be able to dim one area and brighten the other.' Me: ' I concur. Wanna be my new BFF?'

Who's Who: More for the want to sit alone or amongst friends and partake in nice conversation crowd. Not a place to really meet people. Although one couple proves me wrong. While I know I should not crinkle my nose and play my most favorite bar game, 'Name That Persons Self-Esteem Issue' (Im actually dead inside) in the Marina district because it is far to easy, I could not help overhearing one mans attempt to show how cool he is. An unknowing couple from NY sat at a table adjacent to this DB and his clingy girlfriend. He immediately struck up conversation, 'where you from...how long you in town for... do you like my floral embroidered collared 'prada' shirt with matching Fedora...do you want me to take out my measuring tape to show you how awesome I am?' Pretty usual Marina talk. Anywho, this lovely DB as well as myself could tell the the visitors where grasping onto everything he said because he was a local and must know the happening places. What followed was an explosion of confidence as he was the perfect guy to ask because this was, infact, his city. "You have to check out Americano. I mean the place is to die for! It is just around the corner. Really close. You'll love it! Any local will tell you that. Its awesome!" I should say I have never been good at geography but really guy....its close? The last I checked Union Street in the Marina did not border Mission and the Embarcadero. But what do I know, I don't own this city, you do...champ!


Too Much Information: Take Me Back!