Behind the Bar - Complete Review

Full Post of A Locals Design Guide to Bars, Restaurants, and Lounges

It has been ages but now I'm back!

My trip was amazing. It has taken me a solid week to recover from the jet lag so my blogging has gone soft. (Wow, never thought I would use that line when referring to anything other than my gentleman callers but I think it totally works!) My plan was to report back my crazy adventures across Europe, show pictures, make people jealous, and fight global warming. It turns out getting to the computer was a drag, posting pictures was not the easiest thing (especially since the guy I went with was holding them captive and refused to answer an f*ing email), making people jealous was way funner(yes I know it isn't a word) done via phone, and if SF keeps getting weather like what we got going on right now I don't think I want to fight;) To sum it all up, I am back bitches...and ready to judge!

So lets begin...

For anyone that has been reading my past entries (shout out to you, my 3 dedicated friends) you know that I am looking for the insiders scoop on the layout/design of a space. Well this is going to go completely against what I originally set out to do with this blog. I can't help it. I spent 2 whole nights in the Marina, during fleet week and I feel I must drop the design talk for a moment and focus on the perfection that is Marina people watching. I can't even play my most favoritest game in the whole world...it is just to easy. I mean you just can't write this stuff. (of course, I can and I will)

The Marina Addition: Did you say subway sandwich Jared?


Balboa Cafe

Neighborhood: Marina/Cow Hollow
3199 Fillmore St
(between Greenwich St & Pixley St)
San Francisco, CA 94123
(415) 921-3944
My Thursdays are usually dedicated to Therapy Thursdays, great HH spots to go to help yourself unwind after a long week at work but also to help prepare you for the debauchery that is to come for the weekend. The spot: John Collins. (unfortunately this blog entry will not be a review as previously stated. I'll do that soon.) The plan: JC for a beer or two, picking up men at USF's law school get together at Cigar Bar, and ending with some shots for my roommates 26th b-day in the marina. I never go to that district unless there is a good reason and a shot waiting for me. Thanks for buying me a shot on your birfday Max!!!

My first couple stops went more-or-less exactly as planned. In short, I had 3 delicious HH beers at JC. I have to tell you, the girl to guy ratio was great in the beginning. (we fast and furiously left when the Tokyo Drift took over though) We were a little early for the law students so my girlfriends and I hit up Columbus Cafe. I want to take the time to thank the blonde haired gentleman that used his bosses credit card to buy a couple rounds of drinks and shots. And sorry I didn't give you my number for the next time you go out, I just didn't want you to actually use it without the c.c. I also want to apologize to the other gentleman I made fun of for sporting the flesh colored beard. How was I to know that you were doing it for charity? (p.s. its still gross!)

When the time was right we meandered over to Cigar Bar. (also another place I plan on reviewing in due time) It was significantly packed at 9:30ish on a Thursday night. Boy do those law students really know how to get crazy. After casing out the joint I realized that I was not thoroughly impressed with the crowd I was presented with. Time to take some shots and make them presentable!!! I should note, I happen to be friends with ridiculously gorgeous people. Obviously this goes over well with me because between their good looks and my ever impressive charm, men flock. (*eyelashes batting vigorously) With this said, I get back from the bathroom to find two gentleman latched on to my friends. I say latched because one was drowning in Vicodin (holla!) and was having a hard time standing up and the other, well he was a bigger man;) But boy were they generous with the drinks and cigars! Half way through my beer it got warm, BAM! WHACK! POW! big guy goes to the bar to get a cold one. My girlfriend started feeling parched, SWAT! KAPOW! CRASH!, beer! Oh law students, you do know how to treat a lady. Of course, though, this is about Marina bars and people. I'll progress.

I arrived in the marina (shout out to Omar that gave me a free cab ride!), met my drunken roommates, and we head over to Balboa Cafe. Um...I am curious as to what any of those people that frequent that neck of the woods do other than show off their awesomeness? I feel like it is a full time job leaving absolutely no time for anything else. All I saw was a blur of stripped shirt wearing, fake blonde hairing, Audi key chain hanging drunkards. It twas a vision. We enter Balboa Cafe and since I happen to live with 6 very attractive gentleman (no I am not part of a fraternity...men are just easier to live with), the cougars pounce immediately. I found that the more desperate cougars sit closer to the front of the bar allowing for first dibs on their prey. Well played , ladies! I try and make my way to the back in search of a guy that might have a tattoo that isn't barbed wire around his arm or a man that didn't place each hair strand in perfect unison or even a guy that wears a second hand tee shirt. No luck. I step outside because I need a breath of fresh air and to clear the scent of desperation from my nostrils. Within seconds I am approached by a gentleman that could possibly been the retarded brother of Screech:

Him: "Hey, you want to go to this amazing loft party down the street."
Me: "Um, hi my name is Jocelyn. And no."
Him: "But it is supposed to be amazing! Full of celebrities."
Me: "Fine, I'll play along. What celebrity?"
Him: " Jared! You know...from subway."
Me: "Excuse me, did you just say Jared? Like from the subway sandwich commercials?"
Him: "Ya, he is at my friends amazing loft. Right now. Just down the street. You have to come hang out."
Me: *Actually I had no response. I walked away.

Really guy, Jared...a celebrity? And even more concerning, is that how you pick up women? Throwing out commercial stars names. I figure if you are going to throw out commercial celebrities names at least make it the Mac guy. At least he has been in some movies. Oh Marina, you never fail to impress!

Addition 2 will be coming shortly!

Too Much Information! Take Me Back